Building a deck can be a beautiful addition to the home. It will increase the value of your home and give you a nice place to hold parties and events. Decks come in many shapes and sizes. A circular deck is one of the most difficult ones to make, but with some extra time and planning, you can build a circular deck that will accent your home beautify.
- Wood stock (for the beams of the deck)
- Wood screws
- Some cements
- 1×8″ boards (used for the stairs of the deck)
- Fastening plates (we need Flat, Angle and T plates)
- Measuring tape
- Table saw
- Drill (various drill bits and a Phillips head bit for screws)
- Dado blade
- We need to plan the deck. Measure the area you wish to build, and draw the deck out. You need to figure the size and shape of the deck. Use steaks to mark the deck out on your yard, placing them where you will place support beams. This will give you a good idea on the required supports and the amount of materials you will need.
- Since this is not going to be a permanent placement. You need to put in a 3′ support beam into cement. Find out the desired support beam spacing. Place a round support beam at the center of your deck. Make sure it’s at least 1″ for every foot of the final deck.
- Dig about 4′ down below the frost line set Fill it with cement and set a length of rebar into the cement till about 6 to 8″ is sticking out. Drill a hole into one end of the beam and place it down, having the rebar go into the new hole.
- Fasten 4X4’s to the top of the outer beam to create the support frame. Use metal T-plates to secure the 4X4’s and support beams.
- Now that you have the deck framed the way you want. We need to floor it. Secure 2X4’s to the support frame with a 1/2″ gap between each board.
- When the flooring is finished, go make cuts into the framework to account for the fencing and railing.
- Place the rails into the cuts you made and attach them with a long screw, A nice technique is to lave 3/6″ of the screw out, and attach a bungee cord over to the other side to hold the top railing down while you work.
- After the rails are finished, you need to make stairs that goes up to the deck. Make them about 6″ high for easy access.
- When your deck is finished, you need to finish it! You can find some good all-purpose finish. Coat multiple times to keep the woods from being discolored and warp.
Now that your deck is finished, Go and have a deck party!