It’s nice to have a place to store unsightly items that are strewn about your yard, into some place that’s out of the way and out of sight. A deck box is the way to go. With a simple construction and a weatherproof cover, the deck box is a great way to keep outdoor items safe from being weathered.
- Pine boards
- Cart nuts and bolts
- Concrete mix
- Measuring tape
- Adjustable wrench
- First, you need to have a plan. Plan the scale of the box. How big is it? What is it going to hold? You can get your materials pre-cut to the designs you made, or cut them yourself.
- Next comes the platform. Dig out the foundation that is wider than the box itself. Fill it with cement and have it slant slightly more in the back than the front. Place the rebar into the wet cement to give it some added support. Have the rebar stick out at the corners to give the box some additional support. You will need to leave 2-4 inches of rebar out for this purpose.
- Now we need to frame the box. Place stocks at the front and back of the concrete platform. Cut a smaller piece of stock and place to the sides of the box. This is going to be the square area of the box, Use metal fastening braces to secure the joints. Create a second frame using the steps above. You should have two large rectangles now.
- Take the 90-degree metal fasteners and attach the top and bottom pieces together. You need to place the supporting joists about a foot apart to support the frame. Next place a flat metal plate at both ends of the support joists. These will keep the joists from falling. You now have a skeleton of a box
- Next, you’ll need to make the box floor. Use a suitable footing on the platform to elevate the box. Drill the holes into the footing for the rebar support that was in the cement. Place the boards you chose for flooring inside the frame with about a quarter of an inch space in between them to let water run out. Secure each part with two screws at each end.
- Next, we must add the sides of the box. Use decking plywood and cut it to the frame measurements. Use screws to secure them into place.
- To make the lid, you should cut some plywood that is 2 inches longer and wider than the box. Place the hinge on the side of box that is going to take the most weathering. You need no fewer that three hinges, and they must be placed ｽ an inch from the edge of the longest side. Notch the side where the hinges are going to be attached to accommodate the hinge joint. Attach the lid and trim it to fit the box.
- You can add a pad lock to the front for security measures.
- You can also paint and weather proof the box. Painting will give it an aesthetic look, as also match it to the house.