Building a dog house is a great way to reward a loved pet. It will give your dog a special place to relax and feel safe. It will provide shelter from the elements and your pooch will be the envy of the neighborhood! When designing the dog house, think of the size of your dog. There needs to be enough room for your dog to move around. Make sure there is ventilation too.
- Some concrete
- Paint and varnish
- Find some pressure treated timber
- Some paint and varnish
- Paint brush
- Concrete mixer
- Design the doghouse to fit your dog’s breed. A toy poodle will need a smaller house than a collie. If you have a puppy, consult a vet about how big the dog will grow and build to fit a fully grown dog.
- Sit down and design how you wish for the house to look, give space for the dog to turn around and keep their favorite toys with them.
- Ensure the design has proper ventilation. Add slots or windows to keep air flowing through the dog house.
- Find an adequate area for the dog house. Look for shaded areas to keep the house cool during the summer.
- When you find the proper area, decide on the flooring you wish to make it. You can permanently affix the house to the yard by giving it a concrete floor. This will keep the house cool during the summer, but remember to give your dog a blanket to lie on during colder days, since concrete will draw heat out of your animal.
- Start construction. Remember to build the floor first, then walls, then roof. Follow your plan, and don’t make it too complicated.
- Paint the dog house with a water repellent paint. We don’t want the house to get wood rot. This can be harmful to your dog.
- You can find further information and designs in dog magazines, hardware stores, and online. There are a wide variety of homes for our hounds that we can provide them, and even customize them to fit their demeanor and lifestyle.
- If you are going to permanently affix the dog house to your home by creating a concrete floor, be sure you check with your local city commission office to make sure that you don’t need a permit to build it. If so, be sure to file all paperwork before construction starts.
- Have the food and water bowl attached to the house, this way they will never hide it or lose it. You won’t trip over them, and it makes feeding so much easier.