When you have a loft bed, you get to utilize the space below it. It’s not really a bunk bed. You can place shelves, a desk, dressers, TV, or other items underneath. This is a great project for a kid’s room, which has too much stuff and not enough space. If you are creative, you can even design a bookshelf under the bed. You can also make another bed and have a computer table next to the bed. Obtain good ideas of designs and then get started.
- Plywood and lumber boards
- Bolts and screws
- Electric drill
- You need to measure the wood and area. You need four lumber posts 4″x4″x8′ long. Three should be 2″x6″x8′ with 1 piece of 3.5″x8′ board. The mattress to use will be 38″x76″ (a single mattress).
- Cut two 2″x6″ pieces of lumber 78″ long. Then cut two 2″x6″s 37 inches in length.
- Next, you need to set up the posts of the bed. The vertical posts will overlap the short posts at the corners. This will form a box.
- Now connect the 2x6x8’s to each other at the corners using the 3″ screws.
- Cut the plywood to fit the 2x6x8 box.
- Measure the post pieces to ensure that the lengths for all the 4x4x8’s are equal.
- Next, hold the 2 posts so that the outer edges are in line with a 78″ gap between them.
- Attach the platform on the posts with 4″ and 3/8″ bolts drilled through the 2x6x8.
- Do the same on the other side, and your loft bed will be done.
- Use 1″ lumbers 10″ apart and at a 60 degree angle. Attach wood to them and make steps. Bolt them to the bed at the foot, or to the sides. You can then paint your project to match your room.
- Make sure all fittings are tight.
- You can construct a cabinet or entertainment center under the bed to use the space.
- Bolts can hold the weight a lot better than screws, so you should prefer them.
- Be sure you measure the mattress correctly before using it for the bed.
- You should attach a roll out bar on the side of the bed that is not against the wall. This will prevent smaller children from rolling out of bed and hurting themselves.